Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Jack of All Trades, Master of None & Last Song Syndrome

That was I think 3 or 4 years ago, when Vince advised me to specialize in one field or skill so that I will not become a jack of all trades, master of none. I don’t know why up to know, what he said keeps on repeating on my head especially if I’m floating and dreaming of what I want to do in the next few months or years.

Summer of 2003, I was able to convince my mom to enroll me in an Adobe Photoshop class at Valderrama Science and Technology Institute. So there I was, learning and discovering the wonders that Adobe Photoshop can bring to an ordinary photo. But I’m not that serious with graphic designs and since then, I always felt so dull in terms of creating web and print graphics. What I mean, I felt that I lack creativity and I always envy Achi Aiai’s masterpieces. I didn’t take my PS class so seriously, I’ve learned maybe just 50% - 70% of the whole feature of the photo editing tool. During that time, we were being taught Visual Basic and Java at school. I don’t know what’s wrong with me but I’m not very interested with all those head breaking programming codes. I know a little of those programming languages. Just a little. Basics maybe.

I just can’t make up my mind of what I really wanted to be before (or even until now?).

  • I’d like to be a web developer but I really hate programming. Hmmm… I’m not that patient. Ngaa nag MIS man ko man?
  • I also like to be graphic designer but I really felt that I lack creativity to really become a good one.
  • I wanted to be a preschool teacher. I love kids. But then, I haven’t taken up any Psychology subjects. (Now, I remembered years ago, Achi Aiai and I have plans to take up Psychology subjects so that we can apply as preschool teachers. Teh `chi? Dayonon ta pa na? hehehe)
  • I wanted to be a manager. Now this one may not be so hard I think. I just have to be patient. And I know I really have to work so hard to be able to reach this desired goal.
  • I wanted to be a simple office girl. With a lot of responsibilities to keep me busy always. This is what I am now. Just a simple office girl. J And I’m quite contented with my current position.

I’m still trying to figure out what I really wanted to do with my career. For now, I’m waiting for July to come so that I can celebrate my 1st anniversary of working with Waffle Time. I’ve decided to wait for my 1st anniversary before finalizing my career plans. I am still waiting what’s in store for me. I just hope I’ll get promotions or even just a salary increase. (Please pray for me friends. Please please please)

Back to work.

Currently playing – Way Back Into Love by Hugh Grant & Haley Bennett

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Last Song Syndrome. I've been singing this song over and over again since I 've watched Music and Lyrics last Saturday :) I really love the song :)


Way Back Into Love - OST Music and Lyrics


I’ve been living with a shadow, over head
I’ve been sleeping with a cloud, above my bed
I’ve been lonely for so long
Trapped in the past, I just can’t seem to move on
I’ve been hiding all my hopes and dreams away
Just in case I ever need them again somedayI
’ve been setting aside time
To clear a little space in the corners of my mind
All I wanna do is find a way back into love
I can’t make it through without a way back into love
Oh-oh
I’ve been watching
But the stars refuse to shine
I’ve been searchingB
But I just don’t see the signs
I know that it’s out there
There’s gotta be something for my soul somewhere
I’ve been looking for someone to shed some light
Not somebody just to get me through the night
I could use some direction
And I’m open to your suggestions
All I wanna do is find a way back into love
I can’t make it through without a way back into love
And if I open my heart again
I guess I’m hoping you’ll be there for me in the end
There are moments when I don’t know if it’s real
Or if anybody feels the way I feel
I need inspiration
Not just another negotiation
All I want do is find a way back into love
I can’t make it through without a way back into love
And if I open my heart to you
I’m hoping you’ll show me what to do
And if you’ll help me to start again
You know that I’ll be there for you in the end

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep. I too consider myself as jack of all trades, master of none. =/

I think it's good to wait for your 1 year anniversary at work before u decide to move or not. God bless dira, jireh! :)

Ah dugay na kamo gle kilal-anay ni tina. She's such a nice person! we love her gid! And i'm so sad na wala nagsaylo na sya. oh well, she did say na ipirate nya ko sa dason. LOL! joke lng.

Anonymous said...

i've always wanted to enroll in a photoshop class. :-)

advance congratulations this coming july for your 1 year in waffle time. like i said before, you guys have the best waffles among the waffle stands. ;-) and don't worry about being a "master of none." i'm sure you'll find you're niche along the way. until then, it isn't so bad na mn di ba? as long as you enjoy your job and you're earning to pay the bills. :-) God bless gd on that salary increase!

Anonymous said...

OMG! I got that line from my Computer Teacher in my High School and which is a teacher in the University of Saint La Salle - Computer Science Department
I was surpise when I saw you BLOG. Keep up the good work Jih!
-Vince

jireh said...

@ joni - gani jons, wait na lng gd ko for 1 year anniversary before finalizing my career plans ;)

@ michelle - thanks mich! :) ay sana magdilang anghel ka :) sana il get a salary increase ;)

@ vince - thanks for dropping by :)

Anonymous said...

Hi!
It's funny that I stumbled upon your blog while searching for a 'jack of all trades syndrome' cure;) Btw, I'm a complete stranger..
I, too, am waiting for my one year anniversary with my job/outside of postsecondary education before I make 'the decision'..
it's scary because the 'decision' is so final..and Vince is right, we need to choose ONE thing..but it's so hard, huh? There are all these goodies out there, and we don't want to miss out on any!!
For years, the one thing that kept repeating in my head (like 'last song syndrome';)) were those of my roomate..."you may LOVE something and be good at it, and you may like something and be INCREDIBLE at it...do the thing you are INCREDIBLE at.."..Hope that helps you a bit..take care

jireh said...

hi there new friend! :) up to this moment, now that I'm currently taking my MBA, I'm still trying to figure out what do I really want in my life.. hehehe.. still a jack of all trades... thanks for dropping by! :) hope u can drop by as often as u can :) God bless1

Anonymous said...

Isn't it funny of how Internet really 'connects' all of us the "jack of all trades" type of people?
I'm from Jakarta, Indonesia,
and I myself am a *frustratingly* a jack of all trades, but master of none.
I've read somewhere an article that these jack of all trades people might seem like to have ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) syndrome that disable them to focus on one specific subject for a long-time, and I guess that article is right.
See, a lots, if not all, people have told me that i'm really super-good, and even multi-talented at Music (you can judge it by hearing at www.myspace.com/nikiwonotomusic . don't forget to comment though :)).
But even in making music, you also need a BIG amount of hard-work, persistence, and dedication, and *ackt* attention to Details! (the word that I dreaded & afraid the most!). and this is why I kept procrastinating even in the field I'm most-talented & passionate at:(

Also, I am very highly interested in 'deep' subjects like: Psychology, Philosophy, religion, human-relations, culture, and even creative stuff like web-development, graphic design, etc.
But I'm just confused to choose WHERE to focus at, as I'm easily bored when it comes down to the detail.

Even now I'm already 26 years,
but I'm still very confused with my career-choice too. it's just that I hate details, and I wish there's a kind of job for people like us, who seems to always like to learn, evolve, and learn again!
but it seems that the "professional corporate" world 90% of the time never allow or even like people like us ? :/

(my email is at: nikiwonoto@gmail.com , if you want to discuss more about this :)).